The Campton Hills Police Department actively promotes citizen involvement in law enforcement and currently provides a ride-along program for citizens to participate in. The department encourages all interested citizens to participate in the program.
- All persons desiring to participate in the program must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Ride-Along participation will be restricted to no more than one (1) per month and will be no longer than four (6) hours in length. The time slot allotted for the ride along can be adjusted by the officer if deemed necessary.
- Request for participation in the ride-along program must be made in writing by completing the department’s release and liability waiver. The form can be printed out, completed and mailed to the department or dropped off in person.
- After the necessary background (criminal history) checks have been completed, applicants will be contacted by the Chief of Police (or his designee) and the Ride-Along scheduled.
- All participants in the Ride-Along program must be dressed appropriately when reporting for the assignment. Examples of inappropriate clothing would be clothing that is excessively dirty, soiled or torn; any clothing that displays language or symbols that are profane, gang-related or offensive. If participants are judged not to be dressed appropriately, they will not be allowed to participate in the program.
- The department will try and accommodate special requests, including day, time and officer requests, however; all requests may not be able to be accommodated due to staffing levels, special events and any safety concerns.
- The Chief of Police has the right to refuse ride along requests in the best interest of the department and public safety.