Recycle Your Christmas Tree
During the holiday season, we can help Mother Nature by recycling our Christmas trees. Returning the organic material to a composting facility to be mulched is much better than landfilling!
No matter where you live in Kane County, recycling your Christmas tree is easy, and mostly free. Please visit this page on the Kane County Recycles website to find collection dates and information specific to your town or township. If your town is not on the list, then contact them directly.
There are also a couple drop-off locations, where you can take your tree for a fee.
Instructions differ by town, but here are four common tips given by all of the cities and villages:
- Remove ornaments! It is very important to remove all decorations, especially tinsel, before placing it out at the curb for collection or before dropping it off.
- No Plastic bags! Do not place the tree into plastic bags, just place them out there plain as the day you bought them. This is because they are collected separately and mulched rather than landfilled, and we don’t want the plastic and tinsel in the mulch.
- Cut up big trees! If the tree is a big one, please cut the trunk into pieces smaller than 6-foot in length.
Keep it visible! If it becomes covered with snow please brush it off so that it is visible to assure that it will be collected.
Christmas Light Recycling and More:
RECYCLING CENTERS – open year-round
COVID-19 Rules of Use:
- Please wear your mask.
- Materials must be in the hatchback area or trunk of the vehicle.
- Residents will remain in the vehicle; site staff will unload for you.
- Read the full Rules of Use and follow them please.
Batavia, Fabyan Parkway
- Location: 517 E. Fabyan Parkway, Batavia, IL 60510
- Hours: M-F 8am-4pm (See Holiday Closures)
- NEW Saturday hours: 8am-1pm (starting Dec 5, 2020).
- MAPS: Weekday Map
- Saturday Map with entry & exit instructions for Saturdays.
West Dundee Public Works
- Location: 900 Angle Tarn, West Dundee, IL 60118 SEE MAP
- Hours: M-F 7am-3pm (See Holiday Closures) No Saturday hours.
Naperville Public Works (open to Kane County residents)
- Location: 156 Fort Hill Drive, Naperville, IL60540
- Contact: eWorks at 217-364-7543
- Hours: M-F 7am-3pm (See Holiday Closures)
- Accepted Items:
- Books – will be accepted starting December 1, 2020. Books of any age, size or condition. Reusable books will be redistributed and all others (like old, worn, torn, mass produced paperbacks, encyclopedias) all be sent for paper recycling.
- Clothing & Textiles: Accepted Items List
- Christmas/Holiday Lights
- Electronics: Accepted Items List. See “Costs” below.
- Scrap Metal (Fabyan location Only
Costs: TVs and Monitors cost $25 (under 21″ measured diagonally) or $35 (21″ or over). All other items are FREE to drop off